Saturday, April 17, 2010

Catch That Kid

Is it weird that after only 15 minutes, I am making room in my "favorite movie" collection for Catch That Kid. No spoilers below, just an intro, the movie introduces you to Maddie, a tween obsessed with rock climbing (cuz her daddy did it). It opens with lil Maddie climbing a water tower...and then proceeding to FALL TO HER DEATH!!!! Just kidding....she does fall, but is luckily caught by an unfaulty bolt on the tower. We're introduced to Madelene Rose's friends (the artiste and the man's man...both of whom are in 12 yr old love with her), the annoying goon/bully, as well as her family, 1/3 of which (aka her father) ends up paralyzed and requiring a Denmarkian experimental procedure. Being broke, Maddie decides to rob the bank her mom works for.

Nuff said? I know right. Of course this was made in the 90's so the entire arsenal of corny music, insults and just plain crazy events that would never happen in real life are present. I suggest, for maximum enjoyment, begin watching with zero expectations, then you're golden.

What makes the experience even more fun is that little Maddie is played by none other than Bella...Yes, Bella Swan makes an appearance, 'fraid Edward is prolly wandering around Canada though. Honestly, the mini-Kristin Stewart is the reason I stayed on the channel. And she acts the same, it's so cute. People hate on ol' girl, and I used to think she was annoying, but I'm passed that phase, she's an ok kid in my book. 

Some interesting things to consider while watching the movie...I know that lil Maddie is trying to help her father, but societal rules explicitly define robbing banks as bad...and immoral...and for a young person to completely disregard obligations to ethical causes with such ease (and use a savvy ability to convince others to follow suit - including emotional manipulation) calls into question her mental well-being....I mean, after saving the Dad, her mother should really consider counseling.

Also, why is the only brotha in the film assigned to "takin' care of the killer Rottweilers" and then, while doing his research gets the dogs sicked on him! Really?!


Finally, since I have to get ready to do semi-responsible things today (My Birthday), I think it's very cool that she is caught in a love triangle in this movie too (practice?)...AND with a pale face and a brown face at that! lol....although....her methods in this movie are slightly different....maybe it's because in Twilight she's past the "boys are icky" phase....?

UPDATE: I looked this up on IMDB  and it was made in 2004 (holy crap! lol...I had just graduated from highschool..wow)

No comments:

Post a Comment